Wednesday 7 November 2007

Ever wondered who writes 'View Blog'?

Well, today it's been me. I've been writing the error messages and instructional copy for a large corporate site. I don't know what I've done in a previous life to deserve such a task , but whatever it was it must've been bad. I actually found myself trying to re-write 'send to a friend'. 'Send to someone you know who will enjoy this too' - too long. 'Send to a mate' - too matey. Clearly the task was getting to me. I began searching the web for a list of generic error messages. No luck. Suddenly it dawned on me. I was actually going to have to write these bloody things. Now it's all over, I've decided to start collecting these little messages. Things like: 'We were unable to accept your order as one or more of the fields has not been completed' This is a really useful one. I might collect them in a Panini Sticker Album type of way - got, got, need... Anyway, I've got some automated responses to write for a useful online tool...

No comments: